Literary Scratchpad

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Of Bizarreness and Drollery

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

He lifted his head from a quick nap on his right arm. He opened his eyes and waited until the blurry image of his surroundings become crystal clear again. He took a quick look at his watch and realized that his thirty-minute break was almost over. He lifted the black pen on the right side of his desk with so much effort, as if lifting a fifteen-pound weight. He immediately reached for his handkerchief on his right trouser-pocket and wiped away the clear liquid that has been gushing out unexpectedly from his nose since his day started. He placed the opposite side of his left palm to his neck and felt an unusual high temperature from his body. He then reached for his headset, wore it and pressed a button.

"Thank you for calling. This is Mike speaking. May I please have your first and last name?" He said as if forced to do so.

"Yeah, it's Lilibeth Donahue." The woman from the other end of the line answered.

"Thank you for that information Ms. Donahue..."

"It's Mrs. Donahue. You can call me Lily." She interrupted.

"Okay Lily, how may I help you today?" He asked as he spread his left arm on the desk, placed his forehead on top of it and closed his eyes again.

"I don't know how to set the clock on this VCR. I was wondering if you could help me with that."

"No problem Lily." He said without any hint of genuine interest to help the lady.

"Okay, may I please have your clock?" He opened his eyes realizing what he just said.

"What?! You want my clock?!" She confusedly exclaimed.

"Oh my god! Am I calling technical support?" She continued.

"Yes, mam. This is technical support." He answered thinking of a better way to escape the embarrassment.

"Let me now transfer you to another agent. Thank you for calling. Have a nice day."

Copyright (c) 2005 Nick Vargas